With that said I understand the craving for some crunch in the morning. Thus, a bowl of homemade granola. This recipe is not too high in sugar (as opposed to store-bought granola), contains seeds for added protein (and satiety) and good fat.
- 3 cups GF oats
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup ground seeds (chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds)
2. Stir together honey, coconut oil and vanilla.
3. Stir together oats, salt, cinnamon and ground seeds in a separate bowl.
4. Combine all ingredients.
5. Spread mixture in a thin layer on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake in oven, stirring after 10 minutes. Total baking time is approximately 20-25 minutes. Watch closely so you don't burn!
For other healthy breakfast options, see my previous post, "Healthy Breakfast, Healthy You."